python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Dec 5 11:53:50 EST 2016

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 2:17 AM, Paul  Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For a non-nerfed (but *radically* different to bash) Windows shell,
>> try Powershell. You'll probably hate it, but not because it's limited
>> in capabilities :-)
>
> Radically different from every shell I've ever called a shell. It
> looks and feels more like a scripting language than a shell.

In recent years, I've been disillusioned with bash and started using
Python more and more where I would previously have used bash. Python's
explicit syntax does automatically give you a level of security, but I
must say the subprocess.Popen.communicate syntax is painful as hell.
Your traditional one-liners turn into five-liners, and a casual observer
will have a slightly hard time understanding what's going on.

Marko