Python handles globals badly.

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Tue Sep 8 05:59:54 EDT 2015

Op 08-09-15 om 11:22 schreef Mark Lawrence:
> On 08/09/2015 09:59, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> There the poll indicated no specific proposal had a majority, so for
>> each
>> specific proposal one could say it didn't have popular support, but the
>> majority still prefered to have a conditional expression. But at that
>> time Guido used that poll as an indication there was not enough support.
>>
>> So colour me a bit sceptical when Guido comes with such a poll.
>>

> In that case there were either two different polls, or one of us is
> mistaken, as I was very much under theimpression that as there was no
> clear winner for a conditional expression, but a majority wanted one,
> Guido simply picked the one he favoured.  Hum, IIRC that was backed up
> by an analysis of the standard library.

You are mistaken. Guido originally used the fact that there was no
clear winner to reject the proposal for a conditional expression.
And each time someone would ask for one on this list they would
be referred to the "and or" construction that was proposed as
an alternative.

But then some time later one of the core developers was bitten
by an elusive bug (in the standard library I think) because the
and-or construction didn't work as expected when the middle
expression evaluated to something equivallent to false. It was
then that Guido decided to have a conditional expression and
chose the one he favoured.

--
Antoon Pardon