Python handles globals badly.

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Sep 8 06:07:34 EDT 2015

In a message of Tue, 08 Sep 2015 10:59:01 +0200, Antoon Pardon writes:
>Were those polls, like the poll he once did for the condtional expression?
>There the poll indicated no specific proposal had a majority, so for each
>specific proposal one could say it didn't have popular support, but the
>majority still prefered to have a conditional expression. But at that
>time Guido used that poll as an indication there was not enough support.
>
>So colour me a bit sceptical when Guido comes with such a poll.

That's not how I remember it:

There were people who wanted, a conditional expression, 'preferably
<this syntax>, but if I cannot have that, any of the other syntaxes'.
These were the people who were very passionate about wantinhg a
conditional expression.

There were other people who wanted a conditional expression, _but only
with my preferred syntax_.  Given a choice between another syntax and
not having it, they would prefer to not have one.  A good number of
these people were more in the 'I wouldn't mind ...' than passionate
wanters of a conditional expression.

I was in the third group.  Passionately not wanting any
conditional expression whatsoever.

Group 2 was the largest group.

Thus while 1 plus 2 outnumbered 3, for each proposed syntax 3 plus
'the members of group 2 who didn't want this syntax' outnumbered 1 plus 'the
members of group 2 who did'.

Thus a mess, heavily complicated by a very interesting discussion about
what sort of voting method would be appropriate to make such a choice,
and non-winner-take-all systems in general.

Laura