Python handles globals badly.

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 05:22:28 EDT 2015

On 08/09/2015 09:59, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 04-09-15 om 02:47 schreef Mark Lawrence:

>>> Switch is a nice-to-have thing, but definitely not essential. A PEP here
>>> (probably already has been several) would at least be read anyway.
>>> However, there are several idiomatic ways of accomplishing the same
>>> thing that are often good enough and familiar to any Python programmer
>>> out there.  Since functions are first-class objects, often a dispatch
>>> table is the best way to go here.
>>>

>> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3103/ "A Switch/Case Statement" by
>> Guido van Rossum, "Rejection Notice - A quick poll during my keynote
>> presentation at PyCon 2007 shows this proposal has no popular support.
>> I therefore reject it".
>>
>> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0275/ "Switching on Multiple
>> Values" by Marc-André Lemburg, "Rejection Notice - A similar PEP for
>> Python 3000, PEP 3103 [2], was already rejected, so this proposal has
>> no chance of being accepted either."
>>
> Were those polls, like the poll he once did for the condtional expression?

Polls, there is only one referred to above?

> There the poll indicated no specific proposal had a majority, so for each
> specific proposal one could say it didn't have popular support, but the
> majority still prefered to have a conditional expression. But at that
> time Guido used that poll as an indication there was not enough support.
>
> So colour me a bit sceptical when Guido comes with such a poll.

In that case there were either two different polls, or one of us is
mistaken, as I was very much under the impression that as there was no
clear winner for a conditional expression, but a majority wanted one,
Guido simply picked the one he favoured.  Hum, IIRC that was backed up
by an analysis of the standard library.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence