UNABLE TO GET IDLE TO RUN

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 21:59:59 EDT 2015

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Michiel Overtoom <motoom at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I'd go even a step further. I think IDLE should not only warn, but completely prevent saving a file which shadows a stdlib module, which will effectively render Python unusable. I remember from a few weeks back, a teacher with the same problem posted this on the mailinglist. Eventually she had a technician coming in to reinstall Windows, just to fix this problem ;-) What an overkill...

Trouble is, that applies only if Idle was the thing that saved it
under that name and in that location. And that still only prevents
access to one module (imagine, for instance, shadowing wave.py - how
many programs will really break?). Not sure it should *prevent*
anything like that. A warning, sure, but not an absolute error.

ChrisA