UNABLE TO GET IDLE TO RUN

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Oct 31 22:50:20 EDT 2015

On 10/31/2015 9:45 PM, Michiel Overtoom wrote:

>> On 31 Oct 2015, at 06:59, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> This is a different issue than IDLE avoiding clashes.  I opened
>> https://bugs.python.org/issue25522
>
> Terry, thanks for recording this into the issue tracker.
>
> I'd go even a step further. I think IDLE should not only warn, but

The warning will require a choice, with the default (if one just hits
<Enter>) being to reject the duplicate and go back to the Save-as
dialog.  Please add yourself as nosy on the issue so you can comment on
the message whenever I get around to adding a patch.

> completely prevent saving a file which shadows a stdlib module, which
> will effectively render Python unusable.

That is too authoritarian for Python.  As Chris noted, all I can do with
IDLE patches is improve the situation, not solve it.

> I remember from a few weeks
> back, a teacher with the same problem posted this on the mailinglist.

That involved the additional problem of the working directory being
/windows/system32.  This was fixed today for 3.5.1.

> Eventually she had a technician coming in to reinstall Windows, just
> to fix this problem ;-) What an overkill...

If her classroom budget was not charged for that, that may have been the
cheapest solution *for her*, though not for the school or whoever paid
the tech.
--
Terry Jan Reedy