Writing a Financial Services App in Python

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 11:00:10 EST 2015

On 11/19/2015 04:59 AM, Cai Gengyang wrote:

> From YCombinator's new RFS, This is the problem I want to solve as it
> is a severe problem I face myself and something I need. I want to
> write this app in Python as I heard that Python is a great language
> that many programmers use ... How / where do I start ? The problem is
> detailed below :

I'm afraid you're going to be discouraged.

Well the first step is you have to learn programming.  And you don't
start with such a large problem, I assure you.  You start by learning
the language by following the tutorials, writing small programs to
become familiar with programming and the language itself.  Then you
become familiar with related things like algorithms and data structures,
and how to use them with and from Python (or any language).  Eventually
you add to that graphical user interface development.

After that then you might be in a position to start thinking about how
to design and build a program that does what you were talking about.

There honestly are no shortcuts.  Python is a great language, and is
easy to learn, but it's not like you can start cranking out full-blown
applications magically.  In the hands of experienced programmers, yes
Python is incredibly fast and flexible for cranking out working apps.

You might try checking out a Python application development framework
that can produce apps that will run on Android and iOS (and Windows and
Linux) called Kivy.  I would think mobile should be your target platform
for such an app.

> <snip>

> This seems to us like something software should help solve. We'd like
> to see teams tackling each of the component issues around saving and
> investing, along with ones tackling the entire package.

Are you wanting to contract with some programmers to create this
application for you?