Mapping between python packages and distro packages?

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Wed Nov 18 14:30:34 EST 2015

In a message of Wed, 18 Nov 2015 17:44:51 +1100, Chris Angelico writes:

>I don't know how the program would detect it, but I'd be thinking "the
>one where 'sudo apt-get install PACKAGENAME' gets the same code that
>'pip install THING' gets". In a lot of cases, PACKAGENAME will simply
>be python-THING or python3-THING, eg python3-sqlalchemy,
>python3-scipy, python3-bs4; as a human, that's what I'd try first. But
>having a program recognize this would be hugely beneficial.
>
>ChrisA

The problem is that this may not exist.  Debian developers, when faced
with a python package, may decide to break it up into several pieces,
and make several debian packagages.  If you want the same functionality
you have to load all of the debian packages, which of course involves
finding out what they are.

apt-cache search <PyPi name> works reasonably well, as long as you are
willing to put up with some false hits.  And it assumes you have a debian
system handy, of course.

Laura