Mapping between python packages and distro packages?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:44:51 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> What would count as “the right package”?
>
> Do you mean “the package that has that PyPI distribution URL in its
> ‘debian/watch’ configuration”?
>
> Do you mean “the package that names that PyPI distribution in its
> ‘debian/copyright’ “Source” field”?
>
> Or something else?

I don't know how the program would detect it, but I'd be thinking "the
one where 'sudo apt-get install PACKAGENAME' gets the same code that
'pip install THING' gets". In a lot of cases, PACKAGENAME will simply
be python-THING or python3-THING, eg python3-sqlalchemy,
python3-scipy, python3-bs4; as a human, that's what I'd try first. But
having a program recognize this would be hugely beneficial.

ChrisA