Mapping between python packages and distro packages?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:24:06 EST 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:30 AM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> apt-cache search <PyPi name> works reasonably well, as long as you are
> willing to put up with some false hits.  And it assumes you have a debian
> system handy, of course.

I suspect the most common case is "how can I get this on _this exact
system_", which isn't too hard; but the next most common case is "I
need to tell my friend how to get it on his/her system", which leaves
me sometimes wondering what the equivalent RPM for some DEB is, or
what sort of support there is for Program X on RHEL Y. So it would be
really nice if there were some straight-forward way to recognize these
equivalencies... but I doubt there is :(

ChrisA