What does “grep” stand for?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:56:14 EST 2015

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:
> On 2015-11-05, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course, both of those things are also true of ed.
>
> Well, maybe not for you.  I knew people who (yonks ago) used 'ed' for
> regular file editing.  And I remember using the VMS line-editor for
> regular file editing for a couple years before before a full-screen
> editor was available.

Er, I think my quoting was unclear. I meant the two features he
mentioned (not loading the whole file in memory, and accepting commands
from a redirected input file) applied.

Of course, AIUI ed had always _also_ been used for scripts. But I never
meant to imply that it wasn't used as an interactive editor, at least
before vi came around.