What does “grep” stand for?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Nov 5 15:19:39 EST 2015

On 2015-11-05, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:
>> On 2015-11-05, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
>>> Of course, both of those things are also true of ed.
>>
>> Well, maybe not for you.  I knew people who (yonks ago) used 'ed' for
>> regular file editing.  And I remember using the VMS line-editor for
>> regular file editing for a couple years before before a full-screen
>> editor was available.
>
> Er, I think my quoting was unclear.

I think it was more a case of my reading being unclear.  It's pretty
clear upon re-reading what you wrote that you didn't mean that nobody
used 'ed' for regular file editing.

Though I used a line-editor for a while on VMS, I was never very good
at it, and abanded it for a full-screen editor at he first
opportunity.  But, if you ever get a chance to watching somebody who
_is_ good at 'ed', it's something you'll remember...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I want a VEGETARIAN
                                  at               BURRITO to go ... with