What does “grep” stand for?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Nov 5 13:29:50 EST 2015

On 2015-11-05, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:

>> As someone who grew up on MS-DOS, I'd like to mention that EDLIN's
>> value wasn't in the obvious places. There were two features it had
>> that most other editors didn't: firstly, it would read only as much
>> of the file as it needed, so you could edit a file larger than
>> available memory; and secondly, all commands came from stdin, which
>> could be redirected - making it a poor man's 'sed'. Using EDLIN for
>> regular file editing was never the normal thing.
>
> Of course, both of those things are also true of ed.

Well, maybe not for you.  I knew people who (yonks ago) used 'ed' for
regular file editing.  And I remember using the VMS line-editor for
regular file editing for a couple years before before a full-screen
editor was available.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I always have fun
                                  at               because I'm out of my