UNABLE TO GET IDLE TO RUN

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Nov 1 10:01:00 EST 2015

On 01/11/2015 14:27, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> I remember from a few weeks back, a
>> teacher with the same problem posted this on the mailinglist. Eventually
>> she had a technician coming in to reinstall Windows, just to fix this
>> problem ;-) What an overkill...
>
> If that is true, that's really sad. Were we really unable to tell this
> teacher to delete the shadowing file? Or was there more to the problem than
> that?

We tried, over the course of several days. It looked like a simple
"delete this and try again" problem. After a couple of iterations she
and her tech support obviously decided that re-imaging the lab machines
was a better use of their time to achieve their goal (get the thing
working) than further distance-learning diagnostics.

TJG