UNABLE TO GET IDLE TO RUN

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sun Nov 1 11:17:31 EST 2015

I managed to delete the real mail I would like to reply to.
This is, at least in the same thread ....

In a message of Mon, 02 Nov 2015 01:27:23 +1100, "Steven D'Aprano" writes
a reply to Michael Overtoon:

> Users are inclined to ignore alerts, dialogs and error messages, and
> applications try very, very hard to reinforce that tendency.

http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/4518/should-alert-boxes-be-avoided-at-any-cost

(ok posting of question.)

> Good to see that IDLE is going to continue that fine old tradition of
> degrading usability for the sake of a quick and easy non-solution to a
> problem.

I think you owe Michael an apology.
Winning an argument on  'I should I get it my way because I can come up with
a pithy and condescending way to phrase my objection to what you
want to do' seems morally bankrupt to me.  Ditto on the idea of bashing
him just because he is handy and the world is a bad place for you right
now.  It hardly counts as a technical reason for or against the issuing
of warnings in idle, or the more severe 'not allowing you to save'.

I have a professional carreer based on saying 'do not blather useless
error/warning messages' at people.  I am pretty much always on your
side of the argument.  But, here we are, first time in 22 years, and
I am here arguing in _favour_ of a warning message. :)

I very much want to convince Michael that my warning will be sufficient,
thus preventing people from writing out strings.py is unnecessary.
It's going to be damn hard to do so if he is stung by your
non-constructive (however brilliant) remark.

Laura