UNABLE TO GET IDLE TO RUN

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Nov 1 09:41:10 EST 2015

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 01:50 pm, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 10/31/2015 9:45 PM, Michiel Overtoom wrote:

>> I'd go even a step further. I think IDLE should not only warn, but
>
> The warning will require a choice, with the default (if one just hits
> <Enter>) being to reject the duplicate and go back to the Save-as
> dialog.  Please add yourself as nosy on the issue so you can comment on
> the message whenever I get around to adding a patch.

Users are inclined to ignore alerts, dialogs and error messages, and
applications try very, very hard to reinforce that tendency.

http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/4518/should-alert-boxes-be-avoided-at-any-cost

Good to see that IDLE is going to continue that fine old tradition of
degrading usability for the sake of a quick and easy non-solution to a
problem.

:-(

--
Steven