Fixing Python install on the Mac after running 'CleanMyMac'

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri May 29 12:11:17 EDT 2015

In article <201505290959.t4T9xpDK016524 at fido.openend.se>,
 Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> I asked her to come here, but I fear she is feeling a tad too
> embarassed to do that right now.  I don't know how to find out
> the name of the Utility -- the Error message really does say
> 'Utility' -- with no name for it.  Apparantly there is some log
> file you can go take a look at to find out, but I don't know
> what it is ...

Well, she could just download a current Python 2.7.x for OS X from
python.org, install it, and see if that solves the problem.  That would
be likely the easiest thing to do and is unlikely to make matters worse.
If that doesn't work, restoring files from a backup would be in order,
again most likely /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/*.  As others
have noted, running third-party apps like CleanMyMac is probably not a
good idea, but, even if it is as crappy as its sounds, I would think it
unlikely that it would be fooling with the Apple-supplied system Python
in /System/Library/Frameworks.  If it did though, then the safest
approach is to do a full Time Machine or other backup and restore the
base system from the recovery partition and use the Migration Assistant
to restore user files and settings from the backup.  But that's a very
long and somewhat risky process so should only be done as a last resort.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org