HELP!! How to ask a girl out with a simple witty Python code??

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 5 22:23:22 EST 2015

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > “get their panties all up in a bunch” is a gendered slur.
>
> Why do you interpret that as insulting to women merely on the basis of
> being *female*?

I think your question is in bad faith. You know as well as I do, and I'm
confident the person who wrote the slur knows, that “panties” strongly
connotes *female* underwear.

> It seems to me that far from challenging sexual stereotypes,
> mainstream feminist thought actually *reinforces* it: as evidence, you
> assumed that only women wear panties, therefore any reference to
> panty-wearing is therefore a slur on women.

No. I'm saying that it's clear the person saying “get their panties all
up in a bunch” fully intends to convey specifically *female* underwear,
and thereby to use implied femininity as an insult.

Yes, of course I know some people who aren't female wear panties. Yes,
of course I know some women wear underwear that isn't panties. Don't try
to change the topic with absurd logical extremes that I didn't raise.

I'm talking about the implication of the comment as a gendered insult.

> It's only gender specific if you accept the sexist gendered stereotype
> that all women are by definition thin-skinned and excessively
> sensitive.

Bullshit. I said nothing about the sensitivity of anyone. Individual
women you may know – even *all* women, everywhere – could be as tough as
nails, and it doesn't address the point I'm raising.

Whether any particular woman is targeted or not, the comment I'm
responding to invokes female gender as an implied insult. That's
unwelcoming to women, and I don't want such unwelcoming attitudes in
this community.

--
 \     “Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.” —Igor |
  `\                                                       Stravinskey |