HELP!! How to ask a girl out with a simple witty Python code??

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 22:37:36 EST 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
>
>> Ben Finney wrote:
>>
>> > “get their panties all up in a bunch” is a gendered slur.
>>
>> Why do you interpret that as insulting to women merely on the basis of
>> being *female*?
>
> I think your question is in bad faith. You know as well as I do, and I'm
> confident the person who wrote the slur knows, that “panties” strongly
> connotes *female* underwear.

Allow me to summarize this subthread:

* sohcahtoa makes a comment implying that this list is full of nerds
who know nothing about dating. Gender-nonspecific and most likely
self-deprecating as much as insulting.
* I responded with a reference to a nerdy movie ("Real Genius", and if
you haven't seen it, go grab it - it's funny), which perhaps was not
recognized, leading to the post in which:
* sohcahtoa misunderstands me and thinks I was offended at his post
(which I wasn't), and gets his hackles up, thinking the original
nerd-dating-advice comment shouldn't have been offensive
* Two people then go back and forth about whether or not the previous
three posts were offensive.

The whole field of getting vicariously offended is a mess. It's
virtually impossible to judge what will and what will not cause
offense (sure, there are some easy cases, and if you use a six-letter
word beginning with "n" to refer to someone with more skin melanin
than yourself, then you will be very rightly shouted down - but most
cases aren't anything like that clear, and even that word wasn't
originally offensive in itself), and we have interminable debates
about what should and shouldn't be said. Can we please keep these
sub-threads short? Once it's gone through a couple of rounds of
response, it's not going to get anywhere new. All we have is people
getting annoyed on behalf of an unspecified person or group of people,
and offense being given and taken and regifted like Christmas presents
from your distant relatives. I'm sure there's something more
interesting to talk about... like the rate at which the grass is
growing.

Thanks!

ChrisA