Do I need license to release the Python version of old BASIC games?

C.D. Reimer chris at cdreimer.com
Sun Jun 21 16:53:50 EDT 2015

On 6/21/2015 1:00 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Sun, 21 Jun 2015 12:32:46 -0700, "C.D. Reimer" writes:
>
>> Do I need to release my scripts under a license? If so, which one?
> You should, because if you don't you could pop up some day and
> assert copyright and sue the hell out of people who use your code,
> which means that many people won't touch it until you license it.

I want to strike a right balance between respecting the 1987 copyright
of the book, which much of the code was either in the public domain or
submitted to Creative Computing magazine, and protecting my own code
that uses the video output from the book. I'm leaning towards the MIT
license as many of games were developed in university computer labs and
freely shared among computer users.

For a copyright blast from the past, consider Bill Gate's open letter to
hobbyists stealing Microsoft Basic in 1976.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_to_Hobbyists

Thanks,

Chris R.