Do I need license to release the Python version of old BASIC games?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Jun 21 16:58:18 EDT 2015

Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se>:

> In a message of Sun, 21 Jun 2015 12:32:46 -0700, "C.D. Reimer" writes:
>
>>Do I need to release my scripts under a license? If so, which one?
>
> You should, because if you don't you could pop up some day and assert
> copyright and sue the hell out of people who use your code, which
> means that many people won't touch it until you license it.

Converting BASIC games to Python results in derived works, which are
under the original copyright of the BASIC games.

>From the given link:

   BASIC Computer Games is copyright © 1978 by David H. Ahl, and is
   posted on www.atariarchives.org with permission. Do not redistribute,
   mirror, or copy this online book.

So a license from David H. Ahl is required before publishing Python
translations.

As for licensing one's own code, you can grant a license (or several),
or you could place your code in the public domain.

Marko