Gmail eats Python

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:35:15 EDT 2015

A bizarre current gnus sob-story brought me back to this thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-07/msg00738.html

Starts here
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-07/msg00591.html

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 4:13:17 PM UTC+5:30, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
> Rustom Mody writes:
> > On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 2:06:00 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
> >> What would you like to achieve, exactly?
> >
> > Some attitude correction?
>
> With all respect, take your own advice. And use an editor that works for
> you.

Sorry if I seemed insulting to you and/or the emacs-devs.
I meant to say attitude of *general emacs users* is ridiculous.
Try out emacs stackexchange and tell me]

Here is a classic flamewar from one 'emacs-oldbie' ranting against changes:
http://ergoemacs.org/misc/Mark_Crispin_emacs_line_wrap_rant_2011-06-03.txt

Some snippets:
---------------------------------
- Why should users - who presumably have work to do - be obliged to do this?
 [find surprises in new versions]

- It sounds like Microsoft Word is more suitable for the sort of work that
you do.  Perhaps you ought to use Word instead of seeking to make emacs
become more like Word.

- It does no good whatsoever to tell me that I should get used to the
change.  Other machines don't have that change.  Some are still in emacs
18¹.  Others are bleeding edge.

- I should not have to customize emacs so that CTRL/A, CTRL/E, CTRL/N, and
CTRL/P continue to work the way they've done since the mid-1970s.

etc etc
¹ emacs 18 dates from around 1992 (!!)

The whole point of the rant being that (some old fart thinks that) emacs should
stay the same as it was 25 years ago and is going to scream hellfire if
a single keystroke changes.