Gmail eats Python

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 09:16:52 EDT 2015

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 4:13:17 PM UTC+5:30, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
> Rustom Mody writes:
> > On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 2:06:00 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
> >> What would you like to achieve, exactly?
> >
> > Some attitude correction?
>
> With all respect, take your own advice. And use an editor that works for
> you.
>
> > That emacs starts its tutorial showing how to use C-p and C-n for what
> > everyone uses arrows is bad enough.
>
> It doesn't. Those keys come three screens down the tutorial (C-h t, line
> 70) and are introduced as follows:
>
>    There are several ways you can do this.  You can use the arrow keys,
>    but it's more efficient to keep your hands in the standard position
>    and use the commands C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.  These characters are
>    equivalent to the four arrow keys, like this:
>
> > That the arrow-keys are later found to work quite alright is even
> > worse and speaks of a ridiculous attitude
>
> Notice what the tutorial actually says about the arrow keys? That it
> actually says something about the arrow keys, and it says it before it
> introduces the mnemonic bindings?

Ok I was wrong on that one, sorry.
[Im not sure when the last time I looked and I didnt find it]
Doesn't change the fact that there are dozens of obsoleteisms
For the old user they are mostly irrelevant
For the new they steepen the learning curve with trivia.

Funny thing is I said much the same on the emacs list just a few weeks ago:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-05/msg00230.html

And nobody pointed out what you are Marko just did
[Unless I missed somethin' there as well??]