Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jul 19 02:44:08 EDT 2015

On 7/18/2015 11:52 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Not to mention actively hostile attitude to discussions that could at the
> moment be tangential to current CPython. See (and whole thread)
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2015-May/033708.html

Rustom, I think this is grossly unfair.  Python-ideas was started by
Guido as a forum for ideas about *future* versions of Python.  Your post
was about teaching Python,which is something different, as are lost of
other Python-related topics. It would have fit either this list or
edu-sig better.

Your post
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2015-May/033661.html
started a thread with nearly 40 responses, which is far more than
average.  Thou doth protest too much. This
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2015-May/thread.html#33672
is the list for May; there might be a few more in June.

To the extent that you were (vaguely) proposing a change to core python
itself, by splitting it up into 'teachpacks' (whatever those are) and
'concentric rings', the idea was quickly rejected. It is too
specialized, being aimed as one use, and impractically complicated for a
mostly volunteer development group.  It is the sort of thing one might
do with a $5 million grant.

Beyond that, the thread veered ogf onto topics that even you labelled
off-topic.  Yes, we are hostile to prolonged off-topic discussions.
They detract from the purpose of the list.

--
Terry Jan Reedy