Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jul 19 05:11:25 EDT 2015

On 7/18/2015 11:52 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
among other things, a complaint about rejection of his desire for a
mechanism for subsetting Python for teaching purposes.

Response 2: Core python is the most conservatively maintained part of
Python.  Trying to change it radically, as distributed by PSF, is
practically asking for rejection.  For subsetting, I suggest a different
tack: filtering input before sending it to python and raise if it
contains forbidden code.

After Response 1, I posted on the Devanagari thread a similar
suggestion. I also posted an idea for implementing the idea by extending
the internal reach of Idle extensions.  I limited the idea to the
interactive shell because I could not immediately think of a use for
filtering code before compiling.  Then I thought of this issue.  Among
other things, code could be tokenized or parsed to an ast for filtering.

--
Terry Jan Reedy