Writing a python editor for blind developers

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 6 19:52:38 EDT 2015

On 7/6/2015 4:42 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
> Some people were looking at making IDLE itself accessible to
> no avail (the way IDLE displays its output is such that it makes it hard for
> screen readers to use their display parsing techniques to tell a programmer
> what's on screen).

Idle itself is not the issue.  It (currently) displays output (and gets
input) by calling tkinter wrapper functions that interface to the
cross-platform tcl/tk gui framework. I believe that just about
everything written to tk can be read back by other functions.

If there is an accessibility module written in Python, I imagine that an
alternate tkinter-based backend could be written. I imagine that the
reader could then be incorporated into a tkinter app with an import and
startup call.  I would be willing to help with the tkinter part of such
a backend, and test with Idle.

--
Terry Jan Reedy