Writing a python editor for blind developers

Joseph Lee joseph.lee22590 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:42:47 EDT 2015

Hi Germano and others,
First, sorry for this abrupt post without an intro (I'll write a more proper
intro next time) and a possible repeat message.
Second, as a blind developer and a regular contributor to a Python-based
screen reader, I can say that many of us (blind devs) use IDE's nor
Python-specific editors. For our Python tasks, we use a regular text editor
such as Notepad++, and some had success with Visual Studio Python plug-in
and/or Eclipse. Some people were looking at making IDLE itself accessible to
no avail (the way IDLE displays its output is such that it makes it hard for
screen readers to use their display parsing techniques to tell a programmer
what's on screen). This gets more interesting when blind Pythoneers (such as
myself) write GUI apps such as those using WXPython (NonVisual Desktop
Access, or NVDA, the Python-based screen reader is a WXPython app) and PyQT
(apps powered by QT 5 is accessible).
There exists a list like this for blind Pythoneers at:
http://www.freelists.org/list/pythonvis
For more info on NVDA, go to:
http://www.nvaccess.org
P.S. A very short intro: I'm Joseph, a blind Pythoneer and regular code and
translations contributor to NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) screen reader
project. I have studied computer science (no degree) and have been speaking
Python for about three years and spoke C++ prior to joining NVDA project in
2012. In NVDA project, I tend to work mostly on supporting new operating
systems, translations, braille display input/output and touchscreen support.
Cheers,
Josep