installing libraries like numpy scipy matplotlib

memilanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 07:26:21 EDT 2015

On 07/04/2015 07:58 AM, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
> PIYUSH KUMAR <okkpiyush at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have never used linux in my life.. only windows based computing.. So I
>> have problems in installing third party libraries in python.
>
> It depends. One question is if there's already a ready-for-use
> package for the third party library you want to install. If that
> is the case then the next question is which distro you're using

I could be wrong, but I think the point was that he's not using Linux,
while the majority of instructions for getting and using various
scientific libraries for Python assume that the user *is* using Linux.

One option would be to run Linux from a VM... but another would be to
use a 'packaged' version of Python such as Anaconda * or Enthought ** -
they come ready to go with all the more popular scientific packages
installed.  They go to some lengths to address issues of package
compatibility and dependencies - something that can be more of a pain on
Windows than on Linux.

*  http://continuum.io/downloads
** https://www.enthought.com/products/epd/

--