'Lite' Databases (Re: sqlite3 and dates)

memilanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:29:38 EST 2015

On 02/18/2015 08:09 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

>> I have a hard time picturing that few people stressing a modern
>> computer system enough to where SQLite couldn't keep up (thinking
>> web-based interface using Flask or something similar). In the latter
>> case, one of the over-arching priorities is that it be easily
>> distributable, as in that people with relatively little knowledge of a
>> database be able to set it up and run it.
>
> Set it up where? Are you hoping that a network-accessible service can be
> set up without knowledge of the specific concurrent authenticated
> networked access is needed in each installation?

They would need to be able to set up the application (and whatever
database) on their laptop or PC, wherever that may be, and spend their
time administering the event, not the database engine.  Once its set, it
shouldn't need any tending, or they are going to be SOL as I wouldn't be
able to help them.  It may be that Flask + SQLite will be enough;
otherwise I foresee a disproportional amount of *my* time will be spent
documenting and explaining how to set up and maintain a RDBMS on
Windows, on a Mac, etc.

Starting to wonder if a pre-configured VM appliance running in
Virtualbox might be simpler for the end user to set up and run.

--
Shiny!  Let's be bad guys.

Reach me @ memilanuk (at) gmail dot com