'Lite' Databases (Re: sqlite3 and dates)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 18 23:09:56 EST 2015

memilanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> writes:

> At this point... I don't think concurrency is going to be a major
> requirement for what I have in mind.

What's the difference betwen a “requirement” and a “major requirement”?

If you want networked access, you need concurrent access and access
permissions, etc.

SQLite does not have concurrent access. Once you require concurrent
access, you need something more complex, like PostgreSQL.

> I have a hard time picturing that few people stressing a modern
> computer system enough to where SQLite couldn't keep up (thinking
> web-based interface using Flask or something similar). In the latter
> case, one of the over-arching priorities is that it be easily
> distributable, as in that people with relatively little knowledge of a
> database be able to set it up and run it.

Set it up where? Are you hoping that a network-accessible service can be
set up without knowledge of the specific concurrent authenticated
networked access is needed in each installation?

--
 \         “Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they |
  `\                                         believe me?” —Jack Handey |