Wildly OT: pop-up virtual keyboard for Mac or Linux?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:57:07 EST 2015

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 6:06:03 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> The problem with xkbmap is that I don't know how to specify a new
> keyboard map as a regular user. I know how to do that with .Xmodmap.

Xmodmap is neat... but obsolete
Ive noticed hanging and misbehavior and there are all sorts of bugs eg

all of which amount to "Dont use Xmodmap; use Xkb"

Yeah as I said Xmodmap is much simpler than xkb but the reality is that
former is obsolete and increasingly unsupported.

> Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > Can someone try out:
> >
> > $ setxkbmap -layout "us,gr" -option "grp:ralt_rshift_toggle"
>
> I tried it.
>
> > Earlier that used to work as a *toggle* ie a RAlt-RShift chord would
> > go to gr(eek) and another would come back to 'us'.
>
> I noticed, thanks very much.

:-)

> Luckily I managed to undo the damage without logging out.
>
> The reason is the Greek keyboard doesn't have an RAlt. Solution:
>
>    $ setxkbmap -layout "us,gr" -option "grp:lalt_rshift_toggle"

Thanks for trying (and explaining). So a bit wiser now I see that

$ setxkbmap -layout "us,gr" -option "grp:lalt_lshift_toggle,grp_led:caps"
toggles with lalt-lshift and shows indicator on caps-led

$ setxkbmap -layout "us,gr" -option "grp:lalt_lshift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
toggles with lalt-lshift and shows indicator on scroll-led