Wildly OT: pop-up virtual keyboard for Mac or Linux?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Wed Feb 11 12:12:46 EST 2015

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 6:06:03 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
>> The problem with xkbmap is that I don't know how to specify a new
>> keyboard map as a regular user. I know how to do that with .Xmodmap.
>
> Xmodmap is neat... but obsolete

Still, if xkbmap can't do what I need, I'm left with no option.

Reading up on it at

I used xkbcomp to dump my current keyboard definition. It produced a
somewhat cryptic .xkb file of 1904 lines!

My .Xmodmap, which remaps almost every single key on my keyboard
contains 55 lines.

The document has a funny view to keyboard layout:

  Consider making it a service launching after X starts, since reloaded
  configurations do not survive a system reboot.

A regular user usually doesn't control system services. Plus, every user
will likely have their personal keyboard layout preferences.

Marko