Installing PyCharm on Windows (was: issues)

Josef Pktd josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 23:32:16 EST 2015

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 1:32:27 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Anna Szaharcsuk wrote:
>
> > I was trying to install PyCharm, but didn't worked and needed interpreter.
> > the computer advised to install the python for windows.
>
> Not “the python for windows” (that would be some species of snake), but
> _Python_ for _Windows_, the programming language interpreter.  Just do as
> “the computer advised”.
>
> > Can you help me, please, PyCharm stillnot working...allways gives a
> > message for repair, after- the repair successful and again message for
> > repair...
>
> Have you installed Python first?  If no, it cannot work (and please think
> about this: What good is an IDE/editor for a programming language if you do
> not also have the interpreter/compiler?).  It says so in the “Quick Start
> Guide” in the “PyCharm 5.0 Help”, currently to be found on the PyCharm Web
> site under “Docs & Demos”:
>
> <https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/help/quick-start-guide.html#prereq>
>
> Have you tried to install Python ≥ 3.4.4rc1 on Windows XP?  If yes, it
> cannot work; you need Python < 3.4.4rc1 instead (and you should seriously
> consider upgrading Windows or even better, to switch to a real operating
> system, like GNU/Linux – many of the latter come for free and give you more
> freedom than Windows):

Thanks for the tip, I will switch away from Windows when I have an extra year to figure out weird things in other operating systems.

So far I never managed more than two weeks in a Linux virtual machine before never opening it again.

Josef
PS: loyal Windows user since Windows 95, currently considering whether to upgrade from 7 and 8 to 10.

PPS: The mainstream: Python and Windows ("it's not just for 'hackers'"):
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

PPPS: Scientific Python mailing list have been free of snide remarks about Windows users for a while, but not of real problems with Windows (or OSX or Linux)

PPPPS: Windows 10 with Computer as a Service following Apple will lock in many users again to "everything Microsoft", but without the monopoly.