Why doesn't response pydoc on my Python 2.7?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Dec 12 18:18:01 EST 2015

Robert <rxjwg98 at gmail.com> writes:

> I want to use pydoc as some online tutorial shows

Which online tutorial? Please give the URL to the page that instructs
you to use ‘pydoc’ in that manner.

Allows you to use, in Python code, the ‘pydoc’ module by name.

> <module 'pydoc' from 'C:\Python27\lib\pydoc.pyc'>

Accesses the ‘pydoc’ name. Because this is the interactive Python shell,
it displays the result of that access: a module object.

> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Yes, using two names in a row like that is invalid Python syntax.

> Help on module pydoc:

Gives help from the module object you access through the name ‘pydoc’.

I suspect the tutorial instructs you to invoke the ‘pydoc’ *command* on
your operating system, not use it within Python.

But I can only guess, until you show us which page from which tutorial
you're referring to.

--
 \            “Technology is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral.” |
  `\                       —Melvin Kranzberg's First Law of Technology |