wrappers for C/C++

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 13:53:20 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 5:40 AM, Ginga, Dick <Dick.Ginga at perkinelmer.com> wrote:
> Thank you Chris for this answer.  These are the _only_ versions the build creates. Are you saying that wrappers for 3.5 "may" continue to support future versions?

That's a Windows-specific concern; there've been changes made to how
the Windows build process works, starting with 3.5. It's usually
easiest to build against the exact Python that you want to run
against; in the case of binaries downloaded from python.org, that
basically means having one build for each version (major.minor) you
want to support. (I'm not sure about other build concerns - you
possibly need 32-bit and 64-bit builds for each version. Others will
know more than I do on that.)

For non-Windows platforms, it's usually easiest to punt on the whole
build process and just distribute source code. C compilers are more
generally available on people's Linux systems than on their Windowses.

ChrisA