wrappers for C/C++

Ginga, Dick Dick.Ginga at PERKINELMER.COM
Fri Dec 11 13:40:24 EST 2015

Thank you Chris for this answer.  These are the _only_ versions the build creates. Are you saying that wrappers for 3.5 "may" continue to support future versions?

-----Original Message-----
From: Python-list [mailto:python-list-bounces+dick.ginga=perkinelmer.com at python.org] On Behalf Of Chris Angelico
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 1:29 PM
Cc: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: wrappers for C/C++

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 4:21 AM, Ginga, Dick <Dick.Ginga at perkinelmer.com> wrote:
> I have inherited a product build that uses SWIG to product wrapper libraries for our C/C++ code. It currently builds these wrappers for 2.5, 2.6, 3.1 and 3.2.
>
> Is it necessary to have version specific wrappers?

Yes, it is, because of the way Python's internals work. But you can probably build them all from the same source code.

I'm not sure whether you mean that those four are the _only_ versions it's building for, or if you noted them as being particularly old versions still being built for. Either way, you should be in full control of your version support; if this is an internal project, you could simply stipulate that only one version of Python is supported (or maybe two - 2.7 and one 3.x), and save yourself some build hassles. If you're posting it on PyPI, you can put the source code out there and let Unix users build their own, and then you need only worry about Windows; I haven't seen confirmation yet (as there's no official
3.6 builds), but supporting "3.5+" should be possible from a single binary. (You would still need a separate binary for 2.7, though.)

ChrisA