wrappers for C/C++

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 13:29:08 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 4:21 AM, Ginga, Dick <Dick.Ginga at perkinelmer.com> wrote:
> I have inherited a product build that uses SWIG to product wrapper libraries for our C/C++ code. It currently builds these wrappers for 2.5, 2.6, 3.1 and 3.2.
>
> Is it necessary to have version specific wrappers?

Yes, it is, because of the way Python's internals work. But you can
probably build them all from the same source code.

I'm not sure whether you mean that those four are the _only_ versions
it's building for, or if you noted them as being particularly old
versions still being built for. Either way, you should be in full
control of your version support; if this is an internal project, you
could simply stipulate that only one version of Python is supported
(or maybe two - 2.7 and one 3.x), and save yourself some build
hassles. If you're posting it on PyPI, you can put the source code out
there and let Unix users build their own, and then you need only worry
about Windows; I haven't seen confirmation yet (as there's no official
3.6 builds), but supporting "3.5+" should be possible from a single
binary. (You would still need a separate binary for 2.7, though.)

ChrisA