wrappers for C/C++

Ginga, Dick Dick.Ginga at PERKINELMER.COM
Fri Dec 11 14:24:07 EST 2015

Thanks again for a very informative answer and these are windows wrappers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Python-list [mailto:python-list-bounces+dick.ginga=perkinelmer.com at python.org] On Behalf Of Chris Angelico
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 1:53 PM
Cc: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: wrappers for C/C++

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 5:40 AM, Ginga, Dick <Dick.Ginga at perkinelmer.com> wrote:
> Thank you Chris for this answer.  These are the _only_ versions the build creates. Are you saying that wrappers for 3.5 "may" continue to support future versions?

That's a Windows-specific concern; there've been changes made to how the Windows build process works, starting with 3.5. It's usually easiest to build against the exact Python that you want to run against; in the case of binaries downloaded from python.org, that basically means having one build for each version (major.minor) you want to support. (I'm not sure about other build concerns - you possibly need 32-bit and 64-bit builds for each version. Others will know more than I do on that.)

For non-Windows platforms, it's usually easiest to punt on the whole build process and just distribute source code. C compilers are more generally available on people's Linux systems than on their Windowses.

ChrisA