Python speed

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Fri Aug 7 18:01:53 EDT 2015

In a message of Fri, 07 Aug 2015 23:26:46 +0200, Christian Gollwitzer writes:
>Am 07.08.2015 um 19:17 schrieb Laura Creighton:
>> you
>> really only are doing crunching, and your crunching is done
>> in loops which run for a significant amount of time -- then PyPy
>> is generally faster than Fortran.
>
>PyPy faster than Fortran in a tight number-crunching loop? Sorry I find
>this very hard to believe. I could accept that PyPy can match the speed
>of Fortran in these cases, but exceeding seems highly unlikely. Was it a
>mistake, or do you have a reference that shows how PyPy can be faster
>than Fortran?
>
>I agree with the rest what you have said.
>
>	Christian

My apologies -- I went and looked it up, and it seems that the person
who reported this got taught how to vectorise his Fortran code and some
other tricks, and now his Fortran code runs between 2.5 and 3 times
faster than PyPy for his numberical benchmarks.  I seem to have got
the initial news, and never heard about the correction ....

Thank you for bringing this up.

Laura