Python speed

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Aug 7 19:57:54 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-07, rogerh906 at gmail.com <rogerh906 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone compare PyNum calculation speed to Fortran?
>
> This is for a number crunching program working with large files.

Well I can tell you how the numerical analysis and data visualization
programs _I_ use to write would compare to Fortran: The Python
programs were infinitely faster than Fortran because the probability I
could have gotten equivelent Fortran programs to work before the data
became moot was pretty much zero.

On a more serious note, almost all of the heavy lifting in the
programs I wrote (array operations, curve fitting, Delaunay
triangulation, etc.) was all done by libraries written in Fortan and
C.  So I doubt the difference between Fortran and Python would have
mattered (assuming I _could_ have written equivalent programs in
Fortran).

--
Grant