Best GUI for Python

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Mon Apr 27 17:17:53 EDT 2015

Am 27.04.15 um 19:02 schrieb Grant Edwards:
> On 2015-04-26, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
>>
>>> Tkinter is easier to use, as it is standard with Python. So long as
>>> you have Tk/Tcl installed on your computer, Tkinter should work fine.
>>>
>>> However, Tkinter probably looks a bit more old fashioned.
>>
>> It doesn't have to. By using the newer ‘tkinter.ttk’ library
>> <URL:https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.ttk.html>, the GUI will
>> use native look-and-feel widgets.
>
> I've tried using ttk, and it's not too bad on Windows, but it doesn't
> seem to help a jot on Linux. Most Linux users seem to be able to cope
> without a problem, but the old gray Motify look seems a bit dated.
> When I do try to use ttk on Linux, I just seem to end up with a
> mixture of two different completely non-native vaguely retro-looking
> widgets.

Yes, the default theme is terrible on Linux (Mac & Windows uses native
widgets). There are additional themes available, which are buried in
some packages and a bit difficult to install, but give reasonable
approximations to the QT look; I'm talking about plastik, for instance
http://wiki.tcl.tk/24094 (1st picture - the layout of the test is
terrible, but the widgets do look good). For some reason I've got no
insights, these themes are very slow (they are based on displaying
pre-rendered PNG images for the widget bits and pieces).
Yet another possibility are the tileQT and tileGTK packages, which
render the widgets using QT and GTK, but of course this introduces these
dependencies and it might be simpler to just use QT or GTK natively.

	Christian