Best GUI for Python

Dave Farrance DaveFarrance at OMiTTHiSyahooANDTHiS.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 03:05:43 EDT 2015

Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus at gmx.de> wrote:

>Yes, the default theme is terrible on Linux (Mac & Windows uses native
>widgets). There are additional themes available, which are buried in
>some packages and a bit difficult to install, but give reasonable
>approximations to the QT look; I'm talking about plastik, for instance
>http://wiki.tcl.tk/24094 (1st picture - the layout of the test is
>terrible, but the widgets do look good). For some reason I've got no
>insights, these themes are very slow (they are based on displaying
>pre-rendered PNG images for the widget bits and pieces).
>Yet another possibility are the tileQT and tileGTK packages, which
>render the widgets using QT and GTK, but of course this introduces these
>dependencies and it might be simpler to just use QT or GTK natively.

Yes, in the case of a more complex control-panel interface, it becomes
worthwhile to design it with a GUI designer like Glade anyway, so that
would give it the "gi" GTk3 widget set which looks fine.

Tkinter is OK if you want to make something utilitarian like an
oscilloscope interface and it does seem to be the easiest way to build
an interface without a GUI builder.

Kivy isn't bad, being fairly easy to use without a GUI designer, and
having a modern flat smartphone-style widget set, if you like that sort
of thing. You're expected to give the buttons logos and different
colours.