Best GUI for Python

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Mon Apr 27 02:55:00 EDT 2015

Am 27.04.15 um 01:06 schrieb Chris Angelico:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> It doesn't have to. By using the newer ‘tkinter.ttk’ library
>> <URL:https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.ttk.html>, the GUI will
>> use native look-and-feel widgets.
>>
> Does the new library also deal with the ongoing issues with Unicode
> support? AIUI there's some fundamental problem with Tkinter which
> means that (possibly only on Windows?) non-BMP characters simply can't
> be displayed.

No. That is a fundamental limit in Tcl 8 (it uses UCS-2 to store
strings), and will probably only addressed in Tcl 9. ttk addresses
mostly the theming issue and is now "8 years new" (Tk 8.5a6) with a
precursor (Tile) from ten years ago.

To me, that's a pretty bad flaw - we should be aiming
> new projects at complete Unicode support, which means Python 3 and a
> good GUI toolkit.

YMMV. Is non-BMP needed for any living non-esoteric language? I agree
that it is a big flaw, but still is useful for very many projects.

	Christian