Best GUI for Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 19:06:31 EDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
>
>> Tkinter is easier to use, as it is standard with Python. So long as
>> you have Tk/Tcl installed on your computer, Tkinter should work fine.
>>
>> However, Tkinter probably looks a bit more old fashioned.
>
> It doesn't have to. By using the newer ‘tkinter.ttk’ library
> <URL:https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.ttk.html>, the GUI will
> use native look-and-feel widgets.
>
> Why not by default? To preserve backward compatibility. There are some
> old GUI programs using basic Tkinter, and breaking the GUI is not a good
> thing to do to programs which are otherwise working fine. So you only
> get the newer widgets by asking for them explicitly.

Does the new library also deal with the ongoing issues with Unicode
support? AIUI there's some fundamental problem with Tkinter which
means that (possibly only on Windows?) non-BMP characters simply can't
be displayed. To me, that's a pretty bad flaw - we should be aiming
new projects at complete Unicode support, which means Python 3 and a
good GUI toolkit.

PyGTK is a bit clunky in some areas, but I have GTK experience from
other languages, so that's the one I personally use.

ChrisA