Question about uninstallation.

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Sep 28 20:01:47 EDT 2014

In article
<CAPTjJmq-55xV2nbsVgc6UFz8Xkw_wnh_S9RejduwZteU=2o3Nw at mail.gmail.com>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> > That's odd advice.
> > ... And, while OS X 10.10 Yosemite is still a few weeks away from its
> > expected official release data, you can be sure that the current
> > releases of Python have been tested with the public beta and with
> > developer previews.
> It's due to the issues there've been in the past. How can someone who
> doesn't know Python be sure of whether an issue is due to the mess
> that can happen when two Pythons are installed from different places
> (the system Python and homebrew, as is often the case), or is actually
> an attribute of Python?

It's pretty easy to avoid such issues: pick one Python instance of each
version (2 and 3) and stick with it, be it one of the system-supplied
Pythons, a python.org Python, or a third-party Python like from
MacPorts, homebrew, Anaconda, et al.  In that respect, OS X is no
different than any Linux distribution.

> Also, I didn't know Yosemite was that close, so I thought it was still
> more in flux. So maybe my concerns were a little ... well,
> overcautious.

It's good to be cautious but better to be "informed cautious".  Public
betas have been available since July; developer previews before that.
And, while Apple has not announced an official release date yet, they
have said "Fall 2014" and, given the history of recent OS X releases and
the current rumor mill, one would be advised to not bet against an
October release date.

> If someone's willing to state with some degree of confidence that
> Python X.Y.Z will work perfectly on OS X 10.10, then there's no
> problem.

Let's just say that I will personally be *very* sad if 2.7.8 and 3.4.2
don't work as well or better on 10.10 as they do on 10.9.x and earlier
supported OS X releases.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org