[OT] Silde rules

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Tue May 6 20:01:43 EDT 2014

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> Guys, heaven knows I'm guilty of the occasional off-topic post myself,
> and I'm not obsessive about these things, but there comes a time in every
> off-topic thread where the right thing to do is to label it off-topic.
> And this thread has long passed that time!

Yes. Changing the Subject field, while retaining the References field,
is how we make threads continue uninterrupted across a change of topic.

Sadly, this standard method is both unfamiliar to a lot of forum users,
and (reportedly) disrupts regressively buggy forum interfaces like
Google Groups which have a stupid broken implementation of threads.

The solution IMO is to discard Google Groups as irretrievably broken,
but I don't have much hope for that. Meanwhile I advocate using the full
features of Usenet and encouraging as many as possible to use proper
clients.

--
 \        “I was once walking through the forest alone and a tree fell |
  `\       right in front of me, and I didn't hear it.” —Steven Wright |