Exploring Python for next desktop GUI Project

Noble Bell noblebell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 16:10:03 EDT 2014

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:32:04 PM UTC-5, Ian wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Chris "Kwpolska" Warrick
>
> <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, Qt follows the system style properly, and it looks quite native
>
> > on every Windows OS.  No idea about ttk though.
>

> My understanding is that Qt merely emulates the native LAF, although
>
> it does a good job of it. wxPython on the other hand actually uses
>
> native widgets wherever possible.

If I were to us wxPython then I would be limited to Python 2.x at present. If I were to use PyQt I would have to pay, as I understand the licenses, for it to use in commercial programs and/or programs that I ask for donations. If I am not mistaken PyQT is available for Python 3. I am not familiar with PySide much other than I have heard, though, it is not being updated anymore.

Coming from development experience in Java I know how notorious and ugly GUI programming can be at times.

Doing development work at my day job in java/.net I just wanted to use something at home to tinker around with and do some hobby programming and perhaps sell something or such if I develop something useful. Python has struck my fancy.