Exploring Python for next desktop GUI Project

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:32:20 EDT 2014

On 07/24/2014 01:32 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick
> <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
>> AFAIK, Qt follows the system style properly, and it looks quite native
>> on every Windows OS.  No idea about ttk though.
>
> My understanding is that Qt merely emulates the native LAF, although
> it does a good job of it. wxPython on the other hand actually uses
> native widgets wherever possible.

As I said previously in this thread, honestly this doesn't matter
anymore.  Even MS doesn't use native widgets in their own software.  Any
widget set worth its salt will draw using the theming dll so things look
consistent, but whether or not an app feels right depends on the
programmer.  Use the correct button order for the platform, the right
keyboard shortcuts, the right default button in dialog box behavior,
etc, and you'll do quite well.  OS X is a bit of a special case, but Qt
can be made to fit fairly well on OS X.