Is it possible to install Python on a network?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Jul 23 19:47:14 EDT 2014

In article <875ce0f0-c6a8-4b50-b97f-d11ee543ef05 at googlegroups.com>,
 roys2005 <roys2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>   I still wonder why there is no distribution package for *ix that
>   contains binaries/libraries that can be installed "/where/ever/..."

One issue is that the Python build process on **ix captures the
configured install path names into the built files in various places,
like in _sysconfigdata.py.  So, in general, it is currently not
supported to install a vanilla Python build into a location other than
the path specified on the original configure commmand (default =
/usr/local), e.g.

    ./configure --prefix=/path/to
    make
    make install

As long as you are producing a package that will be installed into the
same path on each system and each system has a compatible architecture,
you should be OK.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org