Is it possible to install Python on a network?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:46:58 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM, roys2005 <roys2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>   Thanks for the information. So, one option is to build Python
>   from source code to be able to install "/where/ever/..."
>
>   I still wonder why there is no distribution package for *ix that
>   contains binaries/libraries that can be installed "/where/ever/..."

There probably isn't, because there's no need to. Distro packages on
Linux are generally designed to play nicely with the rest of the
packages in the repository, rather than handle every possible
configuration change you might want to do; if you want full
flexibility, it's usually pretty easy to just grab the source and
build (this is distinctly different from Windows, where it's assumed
that most people don't know how to build from source, and Mac OS,
where you have to actively jump through hoops just to get a C
compiler).

On a Debian-derived system, you should be able to use "sudo apt-get
build-dep python" (or python3) to get the libraries etc you need, and
then either "apt-get source python" or "hg clone
http://hg.python.org/cpython" to get the source (the former will get
you the source for the system Python, the latter will get you the
absolute latest source code for all branches - you might have to pick
which branch to use, rather than using 'default'). On Red Hat systems,
I'm sure there's an equally easy way to gather the build dependencies,
and it'll probably be in 'man yum'.

ChrisA